Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Seeing Beyond These Walls

I worry about paying bills. My heart grows anxious over who might become my childrens’ future spouses. I am engulfed with dread as I envision them leaving home someday. I agonize over what clothing I will wear or what to make for dinner. I grow frustrated at myself for not being more dedicated, determined, consistent, and faithful. I want life to be easier. I wait for the difficulties to pass and wallow in what I have allowed myself to think are 'trials and tribulations.'


Meanwhile, a precious sister weeps over the devastating murder of her dear friend. Children in Uganda are abducted and made into sex objects and deadly soldiers. A husband and father faces death only because he chose Jesus as his Lord and Master.
Millions suffer starvation from lack of simple resources I take for granted. Families are left with nothing more than the clothes on their backs because of the effects of a deadly tornado. A man suddenly loses his wife and newborn; in one day he is made a widow and single dad.


My worries- they begin to fade. My anxieties- they really don’t compare. My frustration- it is redirected toward the meaningless hatred, the death, and the consequences of sin in the world. My prayers- they are turned from my selfish desires to those in need of the comfort, provision, and grace of a Savior.

Bear one another’s burdens, and so
fulfill the law of Christ.
~Galatians 6:2


2 comments:

  1. Yes, such a perspective changes prayers. Thank you for the re-focus, sister.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an important reminder to keep our perspectives wide. Thank you for sharing, Stephanie.

    ReplyDelete

Will you leave some of yourself here? Converse with a community of readers and writers and lovers of Jesus.