Friday, December 30, 2011

In With the New

The coming of a new year brings thrilling anticipation. There is something special and unique about the new versus the old. I don’t know about you, but I get pretty excited about all things new, from the small insignificant new pair of shoes, new favorite song, new recipe, or new wall paper on my cell phone to the grandest new things like a new car, new job, new baby, or new house. What can I say? I love new stuff!


Unfortunately, newness lasts only a short moment and quickly wears off. After purchasing our home only 2 ½ years ago, it no longer feels new. I catch myself growing frustrated with my tiny kitchen and coveting a larger, nicer, newer house. Especially when packing fourteen people in for Christmas dinner! Likewise, my new pair of jeans, new hair color, and new cell phone stays new for such a fleeting moment.

In part, this desire to always have something new results from a lack of contentment; something I struggle with daily. On the other hand, yearning for that which we do not have is a craving given us by our Creator. We know that we were made for more. We long for that which we do not see (Heb 11:1). And yet, we attempt to fill that longing with a multitude of things we do see, hence all the new things I so desire.  Again and again, these grand, new, exciting things neglect to fulfill that yearning within.

Our faithful God offers a newness of life that will not disappoint (Rom 6:4). He makes us a new creation (2 Cor 5:17). He makes all things new (Rev 21:5). He grants new, unfailing compassion every morning (Lam 3:22-23). He gives us a new commandment of love (Jn13:34-35). He promises a new heaven, a new earth (2 Pt 3:13), and a new name (Rev 2:17) to those spending eternity with Him.

As we move into the New Year, let us set our hearts on the new life He has given us. Let us cast aside the old man which grows corrupts and be renewed by putting on the new man which was created according to God, in true righteousness and holiness (Eph 4:22-24). I thank God for new beginnings and new hopes that come with a New Year.

Behold, I will do a new thing, now it shall spring forth; shall you not know it? I will even make a road in the wilderness and rivers in the desert. -Isaiah 43:19

Like my Facebook page to get regular updates.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful words of encouragement...
    'Lena

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO glad you stopped by and were encouraged, Lena. Good to see you :)

    ReplyDelete

Will you leave some of yourself here? Converse with a community of readers and writers and lovers of Jesus.