Thursday, December 22, 2011

The Power of Relationship Part I


Have you ever wondered just how much power runs through these lines? Sometimes when running, my brain begins dwelling on things that wouldn’t normally receive a second thought. After all, as long as I can turn on lights, blow-dry my hair, watch Food Network, and run the microwave, I’m good to go. Lately however, these darn little lines have been on my mind. And not just when I run anymore, but as I’m driving, walking into a store, even when I open my fridge and miraculously have cold food awaiting us. This whole power thing is pretty amazing really! So, back to my original question: have you ever wondered just how much power runs through these lines? Haha, I thought so!


If you do a little Googling, you will find that neighborhood street lines run about 330V of power through them.  You will also discover that under the right conditions a 9V battery could kill you. The whole death issue pretty much depends on something called amperes, or amps. Now, I’m no rocket scientist, but if a 9V batter has the potential to take human life, what will a 330V power line do? Well, power a city, that’s what! And this leads me to my rabbit trail because, when I consider these power lines, my brain somehow concludes that they work a lot like people. And not only people, but relationships.


God is all about relationship. He desires that we have a relationship with Him and with each other.  And these relationships must be person, to person, to person.
Relationships don’t happen on Sunday morning, in the Mega Church, or even meeting for a bible study once a week. Relationships are intimate, raw, and real. They are daily. Another word for these relationships is DISCIPLESHIP. When I think of Jesus’ relationship with His disciples, I imagine them walking for hours together, eating three meals a day together, praying daily together, healing people together, preaching the word together, even getting into a boat and fishing together. These guys did everything together! Their life was each other.

This is what relationships are. I think this is what God’s heart for His people is. After Jesus was crucified, resurrected, then raised into heaven, the result of these relationships began to manifest and in one day three thousand souls were added to God’s kingdom (Acts 2:41)! Talk about power! My mind envisions 330 volts charging through the electrical lines above my house, and I begin to get a little freaked out. As I consider the incomprehensible power of the Holy Spirit at work in relationships, I start feeling anxious and overwhelmed. This is some serious power.

Because we rely so heavily on electricity, the city takes great measures to assure nothing obstructs its path. However, disaster does strike, leaving our power poles and lines in a heaped mess. When this happens, thousands can be left with no power resulting in dangerous situations for hospitals, the elderly, and those with no other heat sources. Electricity is vital to our everyday life and sometimes we don’t even realize it until we are without.

Likewise, relationships are vital to our everyday life and we must take great measures to assure nothing comes between us and those we are to be in relationship with. We may need to cut something out of our busy schedule, or set an alarm everyday reminding us to make a phone call. And like the electricity in our homes, sometimes we don’t realize the power of a relationship until we are without. This is where I find myself today, and I am convicted that I need to take action and make changes in my relationships. However, I know relationships take work, and time, and sometimes they are downright inconvenient. Please pray for me, and if you are in a similar struggle, leave a comment so I can pray for you.

Stop by tomorrow for The Power of Relationship Part II.


Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their labor. For if they fall, one will lift up his companion. But woe to him who is alone when he falls, for he has no one to help him up. Again, if two lie down together, they will keep warm; but how can one be warm alone? Though one may be overpowered by another, two can withstand him. And a threefold cord is not quickly broken.
-Ecclesiastes 4:9-12

Go here to like my Facebook page and receive daily updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Will you leave some of yourself here? Converse with a community of readers and writers and lovers of Jesus.