Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Four Truths to Live By


The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that you may know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints, and what is the exceeding greatness of His power toward us who believe, according to the working of His mighty power.


18. This is a continuation of Paul’s prayer for the Ephesians and it proceeds fourteen verses of explanation regarding who they were in Christ. Here, Paul talks of their understanding (which refers to their feelings, desires, and thoughts) versus their knowledge (facts which have definite meaning); what they feel as opposed to what they know. So often my feelings, desires, and thoughts contradict and overrule what I know as fact- specifically regarding who God is and who I am. This is why I must take every thought captive to the obedience of Christ (2 Cor 10:5). Paul prays they become enlightened (instilled with saving grace- we can only fight this battle of the mind by God’s grace), so that they can grasp and walk in a clear understanding of what the facts are; of what their hope (expectation) is in. What are the facts? 1. They were called (personally invited). 2. They received an inheritance abounding in riches and wealth (This is the third time Paul speaks of their inheritance- Maybe inheritances were a big deal to the Ephesians?). 3. They are saints- most holy thing! Wow! Should a most holy thing have a problem with identity and receiving what’s already been given?

19. He goes on- not only does he want them to grasp who they are and what they have received, but also the power of the One who made them who they are and gave them all they have. He pleads for them to grasp this exceeding (surpassing; excelling) strength and ability of God toward us who believe. Beth Moore teaches this word ‘believe’ to be ‘presently, actively, continually believing,’ and it refers to being persuaded and confidently trusting. Paul uses three different words for ‘power’ in this one verse. I think he wants us to grasp one last thing: 4.The power of our God.



My takeaway- What I know must overrule what I feel, desire, and think. I don't always feel or act like a daughter of the King, but that doesn't change the fact that I am. Do not cease to pray for God’s grace to confidently walk in the knowledge that my hope is in Christ and He has called me by name to receive an inheritance overflowing with an abundance of riches and wealth that will not perish. I am a saint; a most holy daughter of the King, and I should walk as that, with my head held high. Before I can walk as a confident ‘princess,’ I must understand the power of the King I’ve been accepted by. WHO IS HE? He made me who I am and has given me all I have. His exceeding strength is toward me, because I believe in Him. I pray that my belief would be not only for this moment, but presently, actively, and continually.



Walk in these truths:
1. I am called
2. I have received an inheritance
3. I am a saint
4. My God is powerful





Like my Facebook page for regular updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Will you leave some of yourself here? Converse with a community of readers and writers and lovers of Jesus.