Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Identity vs Action

The cottage cheese thighs and muffin top drove me to it. I couldn’t take it anymore. After weeks of not running and weeks prior to that of sporadic, inconsistent running, I shoved myself onto the treadmill. I can honestly say it was torture. Not a moment of enjoyment or satisfaction. (I actually took a picture of my own muffin top, but could not bring myself to post it for you!)

The whole time I kept pushing aside thoughts that went something like ‘if you’d been more consistent you wouldn’t be having this issue right now,’ or ‘your laziness sure took its toll.’ Yes, those things are TRUE, I can’t deny that. However, I can deny them being noble, lovely, pure, praiseworthy, or of good report! And if my thoughts don’t fit into those categories, I mustn’t think on them (Phil 4:8).

What did I replace those ugly, blameworthy, discouraging thoughts with? ‘Yes, this is horrible and something close to torture, yes, I brought it on myself, but I know I CAN do this because I’ve done it before!’  

God is teaching me the importance of knowing MY IDENTITY, and not just that, but the difference between MY IDENTITY and MY ACTIONS. It seems like I am writing a lot about this lately, which must mean I have much to learn in this area. How often those two things get confused in my mind and life: IDENTITY and ACTIONS. I fall short and I sin (action), leaving me feeling unaccepted and less loved by God (identity). Does this mean that when I have a moment without sin (surely I must have those) that God loves and accepts me more? NOPE.

I can do nothing to make God love me more. I can do nothing to make God love me less. I am accepted by Him regardless of my actions. I’m reminded of the name He gave me, and I offer this task up to you as well. Ask God to give you a name. Ask Him who you are. I did this, and before I could even finish asking, I clearly heard the word BELOVED. About a week later, as I thought about this word and was writing it down, I realized that to be His BELOVED, I must BE LOVED; I must allow myself to receive His love. Do you see this? BELOVED = BE LOVED. This is what God is walking me through. Scratch that! If God says I am (or you are) His BELOVED, that means exactly that. I can choose to receive it or not. However, if I choose not to receive His love, I remain His BELOVED regardless. My job- to walk in it; to let my actions reflect that identity.

I cannot walk in my identity if I don’t know and accept who I am. Because I KNEW I could do it, I didn’t allow my inconsistency and laziness to keep me from running for thirty minutes. As I struggled on that treadmill I kept telling myself ‘I’m going to get through this, because I KNOW I’m a runner! I KNOW I can do this and I will not allow my actions this past month to change that!’

MY ACTION- I fall short and sin everyday

MY IDENTITY- Beloved by God and made righteous and holy

My actions do not change my identity

'Remind Me Who I Am' Jason Gray You Tube
(Be sure to watch the video as you listen closely to the words)


Like my Facebook page for regular updates.

8 comments:

  1. Good word, Steph. I think it's easier for me to believe that I was crucified with Christ in the sense that I can agree with Him, knowing that I am worthy of death and judgement, than it is to believe that I also was risen with Him and that it is no longer I who live, but Christ Who lives in me....and the life that I now live, I live by faith in the Son of God, Who loved me and delivered Himself up for me. Both halves of the equation equal a whole person. A holy person. It's hard for us to say, "I am the righteousness of God in Christ Jesus." But we are. I am dead, long live the KING! He is not just near us, HE IS IN US!!!!! WOW!!! Do we REAlLY believe that? He is IN us! Thank you Jesus!!!!!!!! All day long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is what I so desperately WANT to believe and live by! I find myself struggling to find that perfect balance of recognizing my sin yet walking as holy and without blame. Somewhere in there is 'a holy person' (as you put it), and I so want to be that holy person. Wait, I AM holy and without blame. Do you see what I mean? What a daunting task! I must continually seek the wisdom, knowledge, and revelation Paul speaks of in Eph 1:17. So good to see you here, Lori!

      Delete
  2. Oh how I love the way you gave that insecurity the boot! Identity versus what we do... it's such an important truth to remember. I'm glad you shared this on Moms Together today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you stopped by, Laurie. Your topic for the day fit so well with what was going through my mind and heart that I thought I must share. :) Thanks for all the encouragment you offer on Moms Together. We are moms, trying to walk this walk together, and I am spurred on by what you all have to share. Blessings!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aren't you glad His mercies are new every morning? Every day, and chance to start fresh. Every moment is grace and a chance to walk holy and blameless and above reproach. I, too, need to kick the self-reproach and condemnation; and I also have had many times of starting over with my running ; ) You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tresta. I can do it, and it seems so much easier when I have the encouragement of friends who know me, yet still believe in me :) Love you!

      Delete

Will you leave some of yourself here? Converse with a community of readers and writers and lovers of Jesus.