Friday, July 27, 2012


Homemade Dishwasher Detergent

Welcome to the 3rd installment of homemade cleansers. I certainly hope you’re trying some of these out and I can’t wait to hear your results! If you haven't already, go check out my tutorials for Homemade Laundry Detergent and Homemade Fabric Softener/Dryer Sheets. Now, let’s get started, because well, if your family is anything like mine, you have plenty of dishes waiting to wash themselves!

Ingredients
1cp Arm & Hammer Washing Soda
1cp Borax
¼cp Kosher Salt
2 Envelopes Lemonade Kool-Aid
Price Breakdown
55oz Arm & Hammer Washing Soda- $3.24
76oz Borax- $6.46
48 oz Kosher Salt- $7.00
Lemonade Kool-Aid- 4/$1

The Washing Soda will make 6.875 batches of Detergent, costing 47¢/batch.
The Borax will make 9.5 batches of Detergent, costing 68¢/batch.
The Kosher Salt will make 12 batches of Detergent, costing 58¢/batch.
And of course, 2 Envelopes of Lemonade Kool-Aid will cost 50¢/batch,

Making our grand total $2.23 for approximately 2¼ cps of Dishwashing Detergent. This is enough for 36-72 loads of dirty, grimy dishes (depending on whether you use 1 or 2 tbsp in each load).

As I’ve shared previously, I decided years ago to purchase safer, cleaner products for my home. This included Dishwasher Detergent and I have been spending $7.89 for a 25 load bottle of Melaleuca’s Diamond Bride Dishwasher Detergent. Their bottle was costing me about 32¢ cents a load. Not so bad for not having to slave away over a sink full of suds and greasy dishes. However, if I can cut that cost, I will. And I have! My homemade Dishwasher Detergent only costs me 03¢-05¢ a load! WOW! That’s quite a savings! And I’m still using a safe and healthy product on our dishes. So, have I convinced you yet? Are you ready to save some money? Here are step by step instructions to make your own Homemade Dishwasher Detergent.

1. Gather your ingredients
Arm & Hammer Washing Soda
Borax
Kosher Salt
Lemonade Kool-Aid
2. Dump your ingredients into a medium size bowl
1cp Arm & Hammer Washing Soda
1cp Borax
¼cp Kosher Salt (this is supposed to reduce the effects of hard water)
2 Envelopes Lemonade Kool-Aid
3. Mix well
4. Store in sealed container

To save myself time on future batches, I printed the ingredients onto an address label and attached it to the back of my Mason Jar J

5. Use 1-2tbsp per load and enjoy clean dishes and saving money $-)
(For an extra cleaning boost, add ½ -1cp white vinegar to the bottom of your dishwasher before starting.)
6. Help me find a recipe for Homemade Dishsoap :) 
7. Be sure and click here to learn how to make this handy dandy Mason Jar Detergent dispenser!!!!

Like my Facebook page for regular updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Will you leave some of yourself here? Converse with a community of readers and writers and lovers of Jesus.