Thursday, July 26, 2012


Homemade Fabric Softener & Dryer Sheets

You’re back!! I’m so excited! Yesterday I shared with you how to make your own Homemade Laundry Detergent, and I promised you I’d be back today with another tutorial. Today’s lesson- Making Homemade Fabric Softener & Dryer Sheets. This might be the easiest tutorial EVER! Again, I only needed three ingredients (if water counts as an ingredient), and I didn’t even have to search the grocery store for them, because they were already sitting on my shelf! And I’ll bet they’re sitting on yours too!

Ingredients
6 cups Water
3 cups White Vinegar
2 cups Hair Conditioner
Price Breakdown
Water- FREE :)
1 Gallon White Vinegar- $2.56
1 22.5oz Bottle Hair Conditioner (any brand/scent)- $1.46

At 3 cups per batch, a gallon of White Vinegar will make 5.333 batches of Detergent, costing 48¢/batch.
Using 2 cups per batch, the conditioner will make 1.4 batches of Detergent, costing $1.04/batch. 

You do the math. Our Homemade Fabric softener/Dryer Sheets cost a measly $1.52 a batch! You can use this in your washing machine as Fabric Softener. If you do, come back and let me know how you like it, since I’ve only used it as a dryer sheet (successfully, by the way).
Here are step by step instructions to make your own Homemade Dryer Sheets.

1. Gather your ingredients/materials:
White Vinegar
Hair Conditioner
Large Bowl and stirring spoon
Measuring Cup
Gloves
Rags
2. Put all the ingredients into your large bowl:
6 cups Water
3 cups White Vinegar
2 cups Hair Conditioner

3. Mix well.
4. Soak rags in mixture. Rather than purchasing rags, I cut an old towel into 12 pieces, and only soaked 6 of them.

5. After they are completely submerged, wring out well. This is where your cloves come in handy.

6. Pour your remaining softener into a spray bottle.
I had quite a bit leftover after wringing out my rags, so I also stored some in empty bottles for soaking more rags in later. (Again, I'm super cheap and just used old bottles that were lying around. We're cutting costs here, remember.)
7. Let your soaked rags air dry. If you have other rags to use, keep them handy for spraying. (I wasn’t sure if I would prefer to have my rags soaked or to spray them before tossing into the dryer, so I kept 6 rags out for spraying later.)

8. Be sure to mark which rags are ready to use and which need to be spritzed. Now the fun starts- how many loads can you get out of one rag? I’ve been using the same rag for three days! Let me know how it works for you!

To save myself time on future batches, I printed the ingredients onto an address label and attached it to the back of my spray bottle J

9. Figure out how to figure out how much this stuff costs and then let me know! For the last few years I’ve been buying Melaleuca’s MelaSoft Dryer Sheets for $5.69 a box, and I’m dying to know how much money I’m saving!
10. Now click HERE and learn how to make Homemade Dishwasher Detergent!!!!
Like my Facebook page for regular updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Will you leave some of yourself here? Converse with a community of readers and writers and lovers of Jesus.