Wednesday, July 25, 2012


Homemade Laundry Detergent

So I’ve been on a DIY/Make My Own cleansers kick lately, and since I’ve neglected my blog and all of you for so long, I’m kind of hoping a couple of handy homemade tutorials will grant me some grace; even just a little.

I've been looking at Homemade Laundry Detergent recipes for some time now. It's just been one of the many things I WANT to do, but neglect to make a priority. And I have to admit, it all felt a little overwhelming and out of my league. But alas, took the plung and purchased the ingredients. YEP, 3 whole ingredients! Wow, that was hard!

Ingredients:
¼ cp Arm & Hammer Washing Soda
2tbsp Borax
¼ Bar Fels Naptha Soap

Price Breakdown
55oz Arm & Hammer Washing Soda- $3.24
76oz Borax- $6.46
Fels Naptha Soap- 97¢

At ¼ cp per batch, the Washing Soda will make 27.5 batches of Detergent, costing 12¢/batch.

At 2tbsp per batch, the Borax will make 76 batches of Detergent, costing /batch.

Using ¼ bar per batch, the Fels Naptha will make 4 batches of Detergent, costing 24¢/batch.

Our grand total comes out to be an astounding 45¢/batch!!! And wait, it gets even more ridiculous because at ¼ cp per load (for HE machines), this batch makes enough Detergent to do approximately 176.442 loads of laundry!!!

Because I decided years ago to purchase safer, cleaner products for my home, I have been spending $16.99 for a 96 load bottle of Melaleuca’s MelaPower Laundry Detergent for my HE washing machine. Their bottle was costing me about 18¢ a load. However, my Homemade Laundry Detergent is only costing me 002¢ a load! IS THIS EVEN POSSIBLE? Why yes, yes it is! According to Google (and Google knows EVERYTHING), the average American family does about 400 loads of laundry per year. At 15¢ a load, this would cost $60 a year. However, at 002¢ a load, you will spend only $1.00 a year on laundry detergent. Did you catch that?! $1.00 a year on laundry detergent!!! So, have I convinced you yet? Are you ready to save some money? Here are step by step instructions to make your own Homemade Laundry Detergent.

1. Gather your ingredients/materials:
Arm & Hammer Washing Soda
Borax
Bar of Fels Naptha Soap
Cutting board, knife, & grater
Sauce pan & stirring spoon
Large bucket (with lid if possible)
2. Divide your Fels Naptha into 4 equal parts

3. Grate 1/4th of the bar and store the remaining 3/4th in an air tight container.
Put your grated soap and 1 cup of water in a medium pan, cooking on medium heat. Stir constantly until the soap is completely melted. You don’t want any chunks left behind.
4. Pour 10 cups of water into your large bucket.
Add your melted Fels Naptha, ¼ cp Arm & Hammer Washing Soda, and 2tbsp Borax to the water. After mixing well, add another 10 cups of water to your large bucket mixture.

5. Cover with lid (or clear wrap if your container doesn’t have a lid, like mine), and let it sit overnight.

6. The next day it will be thick and have a jello consistency. Stir well to soften mixture and allow pouring into containers. It will be clumpy but mix as well as possible.
7. Fill containers half full and fill the rest of the way with water. (I used my old Melaleuca containers because after all, going out and buying new containers would destroy my $1/year laundry budget. And believe me, the hubby is rather happy with the new Detergent price tag.)

To save myself time on future batches, I also printed the ingredients onto an address label and attached it to the back of my containers J
8. Give your bottle a good shake and go start a load! Use ¼ cup for HE machines and 5/8 cup for regular washers.
9. Enjoy fresh, clean clothes, an abundance of cash, and a happy hubby.
10. Now go here and learn how to make Homemade Softner and Dryer Sheets!!!! 

(Disclaimer- I’m NOT a photographer. Photos are strictly for tutorial purposes and NOT for enjoyment.)

Like my Facebook  page for regular updates.

6 comments:

  1. Yay and it smells lovely and clean in the house when you make it too. I like to add some essential oils to mine. Just for an extra scent. Sweet Orange is my favorite one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Beth! Yes, I've noticed online that MANY people add essential oils to their detergent. I will have to try it sometime. I've always just purchased 'scent free' detergents in the past because I have such sensitive skin. Are essential oils pretty mild on the skin? Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
    2. My friend has kidlets with super allergic skin and she uses essential oils too, so as long as they are not allergies specific to lavender or something the essential oils should be fine. :) They just add a mild scent nothing overpowering. I have also tried other soap as long as it is castile. :)

      Delete
    3. Thanks Beth :) Where do you purchase your essential oils?

      Delete
  2. So funny you would post this, just last week a lady at walmart in the laundry eisle handed me the recipe and I have been contemplating making it instead of buying the meleleuca stuff, so now I'm inspired! Thanks sister! We need to hang out soon, the kids would love to try out your pool! :)

    Staci

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SO glad I inspired you, Staci! FYI, I stopped by WalMart several times attempting to purchase the ingredients and every time I found an empty spot on the shelf where the items SHOULD be, but weren't. The only thing I was able to get at WalMart was the Fels Naptha. I slowly accumulated the other two items at BiMart and Sherms :) Let me know if you make it! And yes, please bring the kids by to swim!!!

      Delete

Will you leave some of yourself here? Converse with a community of readers and writers and lovers of Jesus.